Frequently Asked Questions
- Objectively demonstrate recognized competence in the areas of usability and user experience.
- Ensure your fundamental usability and UX knowledge is up-to-date.
- Get access to advanced certification in specific areas of the discipline, including usability testing, user requirements engineering, interaction specification, information architecture and prototyping, and usability engineering.
- Ensure that you as stakeholder are familiar with basic usability concepts so you can demonstrate and articulate your knowledge accordingly. CPUX-F certification is appropriate for stakeholders who cooperate with usability professionals and who want to familiarize themselves with the basic concepts and processes of usability engineering. Such stakeholders include project managers, software developers, designers, users, product managers and marketing professionals.
The examination consists of 40 multiple-choise questions. To obtain the CPUX-F certificate you must score a minimum of 28 correct answers out of 40. No aids are allowed during the certification test.
Certification tests are conducted by an independent, accredited certification provider. CPUX-trainers do not have prior knowledge of test questions. This independent certification increases the credibility of the CPUX-certification.
Although participation in a training course is not compulsory, we recommend preparatory training by a recognized training provider ahead of the certification. Training courses vary in length from 3 hours (a crash-course for people with previous UX experience) to 3 days.
Certification tests are organized by the training provider. The certification test usually takes place on the last day of the training. You may sign up for a public certification test organized by an accredited certification provider without prior training.
For example: Certification in the UK costs £285 per participant. Some training providers offer a 20% discount on the certification price for members of the UXPA-UK. This price does not include VAT. If you fail a certification test, you can sign up for a re-certification test at approximately half price. There are no student discounts. Current statistics indicate 90% pass the certification test in the first attempt. Training costs an additional £250 to £1.500 depending on the provider and the length of the training. Paid training is not a precondition for certification.
- Usability professionals who want to ensure that their fundamental usability and UX knowledge is up-to-date
- Usability professionals who want to pursue advanced certification in areas such as usability testing, user requirements engineering, information architecture or usability engineering
- Stakeholders who cooperate with usability professionals and want to familiarize themselves with basic usability terms, concepts and processes so they can demonstrate and articulate their knowledge accordingly. Such stakeholders include project managers, software developers, designers, users, product managers and marketing professionals.
- To ensure your fundamental usability and UX knowledge is up-to-date
- To judge for yourself what the CPUX certificate is about
- To gain a personal insight into the CPUX certification process
- To participate in the discussion about the value of CPUX based on personal experience from certification
- To act as a role-model for newcomers in usability and UX who are considering certification
The certification attests that the certificate holder has passed the foundation level certification test. We use the term “professional” in the same meaning as the related certification system for Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering (CPRE). After obtaining their foundation level certification you are not a “professional” but have demonstrated foundation level knowledge. Just like Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering we strive for consistency in the titles. We consider it reasonable to use the uniform titles CPUX-F, CPUX-UT (Usability Testing), CPUX-UR (User Requirements Engineering) and CPUX-M (User Experience Management). A person who is certified as CPUX-F may use the title “Certified Professional for Usability und User Experience – Foundation Level” in full – “Foundation level” must be included.
We are testing UX competency according to the ISO 9241-210 standard, which contains a recognized definition of user experience, which we believe can be tested.